Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Warm Turkey Ranch Wrap/Salad

This is a great way to get in several servings of veggies, a lean protein, and whole grains all in one yummy meal! And it only took about 15 minutes to prepare!You will need:

-2 slices of lean turkey breast meat (around 3-4 ounces) I used deli meat...not as healthy as if you cooked the turkey yourself, but this is real life after all.
-1/4 of a bell pepper
-1/4 of a red onion
-1/2 a large tomato (or one whole, roma sized tomato)
-1 tbsp or so of garlic
-1/4 of a cucumber
-a few handfuls of some healthy greens (NOT ice burg lettuce!)
-1 100% whole wheat tortilla (look for a brand that has less than 100 calories per tortilla...I use La Flavorita brand and they only have 80 calories)
-1 tbsp low-fat ranch dressing (one serving is 2 tbs and about 60 calories...but you really only need one tablespoon!)
-salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (I find the little grinder of pepper gives you a lot more flavor!)

Heat the turkey, garlic, onion, bell pepper, and tomatoes in a skillet on medium high heat. Constantly stirring, add a pinch of salt and a good couple of grinds of black pepper. Once it is all heated through (about 5 minutes,) add 1 tablespoon of low-fat ranch dressing and mix until incorporated.

Spread the greens on your tortilla and top with the sliced cucumber. Spoon the turkey/veggie mixture on top of that, fold and enjoy!

I went a little over-board with the amount of greens I used, so my tortilla really couldn't hold it all. I ended up cutting it all up and eating it salad style. Super yummy!

2 comments:

  1. WE love wraps too! Especially in the summer! My favorite place to get ww tortillas is in the refridgerated section at Sunflower. They're locally grown and they're only $1.69 and they are yummy! Also we LOVE avacados in our wraps! A little healthy fat goes a long way! ;-) Is the little brown stuff next to the cucumbers the garlic? mmmm! that's a great idea! When I first saw it I thought maybe it was sunflower seeds or something which is also a great idea! Thanks Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check those ww tortillas out, Mel! I buy the ones I do because they are so low-calorie compared to most other ww tortillas...they are awfully thin, though..so it can be hard to roll them up! I wish I liked avacado...I am going to make myself start liking it since it is so good for you. :) And, yes...I LOVE garlic!!!! :) Sunflower seeds or some other seed/nut would be a yummy addition too...yummy maybe in place of the turkey! Good idea! :)

    ReplyDelete